Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Soya Chunks Cutlet


With Fall setting in, the landscape is nicely dotted with crimson red and burning brown hues everywhere. Its a bit windy with long spells of mild showers and wind chill on some days. Warm food seems to be the order of the day. I love the chewy goodness of Soya Chunks, especially on days when I wish to avoid meat, this recipe comes handy for a nice tasty snack made with the wholesome flavours of Soya Chunks. I got the inspiration for this recipe from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's Mixed Vegetable Cutlet. I made few changes to suit out taste. The good thing about this recipe is that you can shape the Cutlets and refrigerate them for consumption within 2-3 days. I added some chopped Spinach and Fenugreek leaves since I had them handy. Add or discard as per choice & preference.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes

Ingredients:
Soya Chunks - 4 cups packed
Potatoes (boiled and mashed) - 2 cups
Fresh chopped leafy vegetable (Spinach & Fenugreek leaves) (optional) - 1 cup

Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Ginger paste - 1" piece
Garlic pods - 3-4
Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
Green Chilli - 1-2
Onions (chopped) - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Sooji or Semolina - 1/2 cup
Oil/Ghee

Method:
Boil the Soya chunks and wash in water multiple times till they are soft and evenly cooked. Mince to bite sized flavours in a blender and set aside.
Make a paste of Ginger, Garlic, Green Chillies and Coriander leaves. Heat oil in a pan and saute the paste till the raw flavour disappears. Add mashed Potato chunks and add all the spice powders. Do not add water at all. Add minced Soya chunks and greens if you are adding them. Let the mixture form a collective semi-dry consistency.
Make palm sized cutlets and set aside.
While frying Cutlets, heat oil in a pan, add Cutlets dredged in Semolina and shallow fry on both sides till they are crispy, done and lightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. I was searching for what to do with my soya mince and came across this recipe that's both easy and looks great. Going to make it now and if it turns out well, will add on my blog. :-)

    Do visit my blog too.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovelifenlollypop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.