Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Seasoned Patrode (with Urad Dal and Methi) | Phanna Patrode


Seasoned Patrode with Urad Dal and Methi

Sometimes I get bored of my own cooking. Hence, I like to try different variations of the same base recipe. Recently, I got lucky at Patel's with the fresh stock arrival of Taro leaves, a rare feat indeed! I made Phanna Patrode and the flavor was awesome. The other version of Patrode is Patrode Upkari seasoned with Garlic and Red Chillies, a favorite of the husband.


Patrode Lollo - Patrode Log ready to be steamed

My Ma pairs this seasoned cakes with Paej. The seasoning sticks to the cakes almost creating a crunchy texture. She does it in a cast iron deep dish pan so you get the crust well formed and the seasoning offers yummy surprise of flavors. I cooked them in my iron kadhai and the roll steamed beautifully.

~ Phanna Patrode ~
Preparation time: 30 minutes + 4 hours (soaking time)
Cooking time: 30 minutes (maximum)

Patrode Recipe

For Seasoning -
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Methi (Fenugreek) seeds - 1 tsp
Split Urad Dal - 1 tsp

For Garnish -
Coconut oil

Method:
Prepare Patrode as described in the recipe. In a wide mouthed iron pan, heat few spoons of oil and while its hot, season with mustard seeds, methi seeds and split urad dal. Place each sliced cake of Patrode side by side and add a cup of hot water. Cover with a lid and leave undisturbed for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the cakes over and add 1 or 1/2 cup of hot water and cook with lid on. Once done, scoop each slice and serve hot with Paej. Drizzle coconut oil on each cake before serving.

Note - Add hot water to aid the cooking process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.