Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Patrode Rava Fry (Steamed Taro Leaf Dredged in Rava)


Recently, I got a huge bargain loot of Taro Leaves (Patrode Paan) from my local Indian grocery. Its a chance opportunity which I grabbed with open arms and weird enough, they were fresh, not bruised and available in plenty. I rejoice Patrode made at home and so does my husband. The only problem is here in US, we don't get them as often as we do in India and I miss them a lot. :(

In India, my parents get a perennial supply of these leaves from a kind friend, neighbour or a close relative. This is a dish which fills me with nostalgia purely because its labor intensive and reminds me of the hours Mom slogged in the kitchen to make these for us. Any Konkani Foodie, either loves Patrode too much or would blatantly hate it because of the itchy sensation it causes in throat upon consumption.


I always tease Mom that if there is a competition to make these steamy goodies, she will win the first prize. The Patrode made by my Mom are divine and hit the taste buds with precision and accuracy which is hard to express. Everyone loves Patrode made by Mom and waste no opportunity when she invites folks for lunches and dinners. I made the conventional steamed Patrode from one roll and froze the rest in my freezer to make Patrode Rava Fry and Patrode Phanna Upkari. Cover the rest of the rolls with tight cling wraps layer by layer and plonk them in freezer bags and enjoy them at leisure.

~ Patrode Rava Fry ~
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes maximum

Ingredients:
Taro Leaves/ Patrodey Paan/ Tere Paan/ Marvala Paan - 8-15
Red Chillies (Byadgi preferred) - 5-8
Rice (Sona Masoori) - 1/4 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Asafoetida - 1 tiny ball - use the edible gum and not the powdery one
Tamarind/ Bilimbi (any souring agent) - 1/2 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Water - For batter consistency
Rava/ Sooji (Fine) - 1/2 cup
Oil - For pan frying

Contraptions used ~ Idli Steamer/ Pedaavan or Patrodo/ Sanna Steamer

Method:
Follow the procedure provided in Patrode recipe and once steamed and cooked, allow to cool. This takes around 15-20 minutes. Dredge them in Rava one by one. ensure the top and bottom surface of Patrode are evenly coated with Rava. Pan fry on both sides for 5-8 minutes. Drizzle oil on the sides. Once done, they are crisp and get a beautiful roasted brown color on both the sides. Enjoy hot with Dalitoy and cooked Rice.

4 comments:

  1. Those look so good, Ashwini! It has been years and years since I spotted fresh taro leaves. I remember that some batches that I've eaten as a child used to itch and some wouldn't. Can you tell from looking at the leaves if those will be the itchy kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nupur - Thanks! Likewise, I could not belv my luck when I found a fresh bounty of leaves that too a substantial supply. I belv the leaves with purple stem are belvd to be less itchy than the ones with green stem. Having said that, its a good idea to add a good chunk of Tamarind or Bilimbi to the batter to eliminate the itch effect. I added a lot of tamarind and thank heavens the Patrode were not itchy at all! The leaves I got had purple stems and veins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic - how wonderful you can use the fresh taro leaves :) This is like the gujrati Patra right? coating them with rava is a very nice idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Now Serving -
    Thanks a lot! Konkani Patrode are on the spicier side and are served with a helping of Coconut oil dunked on top.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any comment and would love to hear from you. Trust you enjoy my blog.